Thursday, October 15, 2009

starvin' marvin

So apparently I have been starving my poor child! The afternoon we got home from the doctor I made Henry and 8oz bottle and he chugged it down! You would have thought the poor kid hadn't eaten for days (I BF him before our visit)! I don't see how I didn't pick up on this but any other time I supplemented and left 4 or 6oz he took it and was fine?? So from Thursday on I supplemented during the day and BF in the evenings and in the mornings. I immediately noticed a difference. He was a different child! I had notice about two weeks ago that he was sort of whinny and cranky at night but I chalked it up to him maybe teething or tired and didn't think another minute about it. By the end of the weekend I could tell he had gained weight and was as happy as a lark! We went to the doctor yesterday for our follow up and my chubby bunny had gained 2 pounds in a week!! (sounds like me-takes a month to loose a pound and only a week to gain 2 ha!) I felt terrible!! But his doctor was great and said it happens and I'm not a bad mom. He said everything else looked great with him and that I could start jar feeding him if we wanted. He suggested starting with veggies and trying a new one each week just to rule out any weird allergies. So I will be taking a trip to the store this weekend to pick up some big boy jar foods! I can hardly believe he's big enough for baby food. Anyone have any suggestions as to a specific kind or brand we should try??? So far we have been going the organic rout with the formula and cereals. Let me know your thoughts! And thank you to everyone who said prayers and cared enough to ask or think about him!!


Hope everyone has a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. That's great he gained weight! Don't beat yourself up over it though, one day the amount of food they eat is plenty and the next it's just not enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that Mr. Henry gained weight this week! He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just a thought...make your own baby food. if you have a blender and some fresh veggies, it's easy and SO much better for them. i look back now and wish i had done it. no preservatives, just 100% veggie. you can't do it all the time, but it's a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay for the weight gain. that is awesome!! don't feel like a bad mom... b/c babies are so different day to day! some days lucas takes only 4- 6oz bottles, and some days he takes 6 or 7 huge ones! we use the nature's goodness brand from walmart, i don't do organic but i know they have some. good luck, i bet he loves the baby food. hard to believe he is so big!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for him!! That is hilarious that he gianed 2 lbs in one week! He is such a cutie pie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Henry- grow, baby, grow! I just started Laken on rice cereal (after having a bad reaction to the first kind). I also just made him some of his first baby food. I haven't started him on it, but I had some fresh apples that we picked, so I just peeled, chopped, and boiled them and put them through the magic bullet and they are done! I froze them in ice cube trays. I think I used about 6 or 7 medium-large apples and it filled up 3 trays! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete